Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Privilege, Power, and difference: The Trouble We're In ( indeed)

in chapter 3 of Allan G. Johnson book he talks about privilege, power, and Difference. in the first paragraph of this chapter Johnson explains that the differences  mainly exist because of privilege and power. however differences are not the problem; the real problem is that we have learned to ignore the things that do not appeal to us because we feel threaten by an idea that brings our egos down. this is a real problem because people feel uncomfortable discussing an issue regarding to race, gender,color which stops us from finding a solution.

in chapter two Johnson shares an experience he had with an African American women in which he found hard to discuss race and gender because he knew that he was part of the privilege group because he was white and male. from reading these chapters i have come down with my own conclusion why people of different races, color and gender have a hard time discussing issues. I believe that the fact that some people with certain races, gender and color have privileges over others, they feel guilty of the other persons oppression even though they have not chosen to have those privileges and perhaps that is why we all try to ignore.    






 

1 comment:

  1. While this reading was longer than the other option, I found this one easier to understand. I agree with you in why we can't talk about such issues. But I just wanted to add that I find myself ignoring topics that I feel I am uneducated in....such as feminism. I am hoping to learn a lot in this class. See you Thursday night.

    ReplyDelete